Wednesday, October 29, 2008

When I was 4

When I was four, I was influenced by lots of things. Mostly, I adored my brothers and my very first crush. Bob Boone. For those of you who don't know, Bob Boone was the catcher for the 1980 World Series Phillies. I had a shirt - bought for me by a family friend -that read "This Girl Loves Bob Boone." On the back, it had my name. I loved that shirt and I wore it all the time.

Now, I was young and the memories are definitely fuzzy. But, I can remember going outside- we lived at C and Roosevelt Blvd - standing on the Blvd and banging pots and pans. I remember sitting on my brothers and my father's shoulders and just enjoying making noise and yelling. I think at the time, I was probably more excited to be up past my bedtime and be with the adults - but it is one of my earliest childhood memories. It was awesome.

I can honestly say, I don't remember the Sixers win in 1983, even though I was nine. But that 1980 day was awesome.

Years later, in 1993 - I was in the beginning of my senior year of high school. My favorite Philly in 1993 - Darren Daulton... The Phillies were all the rage that year. I remember the hype. I remember the feeling of watching Wildthing Mitch Williams loose game 6. It wasn't exactly his fault - but he did have to leave the city for a while. What can I say - we are passionate fans! Now, I can also remember feeling this amazing loss.

As I moved to college - I definitely became more of an football fan - and consequently an Eagles fan. It wasn't that my passion or love for the Phils was any less - it's just that when you get down to it - I bleed green. And I was stuck with Pittsburgh fans constantly chanting "here we go Steelers" in my ear every day. So, I always had to defend my Birds..


Just a few years ago, those Birds broke my heart. They lost a SuperBowl - that I still can't really talk about. Typical Birds - poor clock management, McNabb choking - you'll know the drill.

So here we are - 28 years since I last remember a true celebration. Twenty-eight years since the city of Phildelphia could go nuts.

Right now, I'm in DC and I can't be more bummed out. I've spoken with siblings and friends and decided that this memory - will end with a Parade. THE parade.

As for my favorite Philly? Its hard to say. Lidge and Hamels seem obvious. Chase Utley is a front runner - not only is he not hard on the eyes but he is awesome. There are so many to choose from.
So, I'll decide post parade.

Finally - a memory that I can savor - details and all...

No comments: